Saturday, June 28, 2008

Video killed the paper

On my last day in Chennai, read an interesting piece called 'The crime merchants' on Hindu. It was about Indian television going overboard telecasting crime to gain TRP's. Got me thinking that i have almost stopped watching news channels on TV. I convenieintly skipped them during channel surfing. I just cant take the decibel levels, the hyper ventilating reporters with false urgency in their voice. I think i stopped watching long back, to be precise when Rajdeep Sardesai literally got grey hair during Musharraf's visit to Agra. I couldnt take the blow by blow account and decided to get my daily dose of information from the newspaper only.

Am a newspaper person. The highlight of my sunday during school was to read every single page of Indian express all with Reema Parashars reviews, TJS George and Gurumurti's columns, the zebra crossings and all that jazz. I would open up all the paper on my bed, open the windows and always, always read my favourite columns the last, waiting with excitement. Even now it defines my sundays when am at home.

No comments: